Most recipes that I read used heavy cream and chicken stock as their base but I wanted to come with something a little easier on the thighs–ours, not the chicken’s–so I did a few substitutions here and there. The end result is a delicious meal that, at 375 calories per serving, promises half the calories of your typical creamy chicken with peas. CHEERS!!
p.s. Don’t skimp on the garlic!
• Four boneless chicken thighs
• 2 cups broccoli florets
• 1/2 cup frozen peas
• 1 cup chopped mushrooms
• 1/2 cup low-fat milk
• 1 teaspoon corn starch (dissolved in 3 tablespoons of water)
• 3 tablespoons butter
• 3 tablespoons lemon juice
• 1/3 cup minced garlic (THAT’S RIGHT!!)
• 1 tablespoon soy sauce
• Salt & pepper to taste
- Marinate the chicken thighs in the lemon juice, soy sauce and half of the minced garlic for at least fifteen minutes.
- Over medium heat, melt the butter in a large skillet. Add the chicken thighs and cook for four minutes on either side. Remove from heat.
- In the same skillet, add the remaining garlic and stir for 30 seconds under medium heat. Add the mushrooms, peas, milk, garlic, corn starch and broccoli. Season with salt and pepper to taste, cover, lower heat and allow to cook for about three minutes.
- Add chicken thighs and cook for an additional five to ten minutes. Serve immediately over hot rice or a bed of spinach.