My wife and I were able to secure a nice block of extra firm tofu last week, and we were excited to come up with something different that didn’t involve pasta or rice.
Then, boom! It hit us! Let’s do sizzling tofu!
In Manila, restaurants like Max’s Fried Chicken serve up in a sizzling hot plate some fried tofu that they mix with a flavored mayonnaise. It’s flavorful and delicious–not the healthiest way of preparing tofu, thanks to that mayo–and our kids enjoyed it. So here’s what we did!
- A big block of extra firm tofu, cut into cubes
- Chopped red and green bell capsicums
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Cooking oil
- ¼ cup mayonnaise (pure egg, none of that soy mayo, ayt?)
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
- Combine the sauce ingredients and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil. Deep fry the cubed tofu until lightly browned. Remove from the saucepan and place on paper towels.
- In a separate, equally large saucepan, over medium heat, sauté the capsicums and onion in two tablespoons of butter. Add the fried tofu and fry about two to three minutes.
- Pour the sauce into the saucepan. Stir and continue to cook, about two minutes. .
- Transfer onto large serving plate and serve immediately.