After 15 non-consecutive weeks at number one, in the process establishing its singer as the dominant musical force of his generation, Whom Shall I Fear (God of Angel Armies) by Chris Tomlin drops to number two this week. Replacing it is Matthew West’s Hello My Name Is, the second single from the Christian singer/songwriter’s Grammy Award-nominated Into the Light. Hello My Name Is becomes West’s fifth number one single, and his first since his Christmas duet with Amy Grant, Give This Christmas Away, topped the chart in December 2010. Not counting this holiday release, it’s his first chart-topper since The Motions in 2008. West’s five year wait between number one’s wasn’t a lonely one, though; he’d had four Top 10 hits along the way, including two near-misses, as both Forgiveness, the carrier of Into the Lightm and The Heart of Christmas, West’s most recent holiday release, both peaked at number two.
I am so happy. Matthew is my favorite Christian singer/songwriter, and the fact that Hello My Name Is, my favorite song off Into the Light, is his latest number one makes me so giddy and happy that I almost want to cry. I won’t, though, because I’ll save that for later, when I listen to Into the Light again. Welcome to the Matthew West fanfest.
1. (2) Matthew West Hello My Name Is
2. (1) Chris Tomlin Whom Shall I Fear (God of Angel Armies)
3. (4) Hawk Nelson featuring Bart Millard of MercyMe Words
4. (5) tobyMac Steal My Show
5. (6) The Afters Every Good Thing
6. (3) Passion One Thing Remains
7. (7) MercyMe You Are I Am
8. (8) Sidewalk Prophets Help Me Find It
9. (9) Big Daddy Weave Redeemed
10. (10) Tenth Avenue North Worn