1. I have a routine in locking my car. When I lock Gina, my Hyundai Getz Philippines, I lock her front doors (which automatically locks all doors), then I check each door, going around the car. Then I check all doors a second time. If I don’t do this, I cannot focus for the rest of day, thinking, “Did I lock my car? Did I not?” It went away with the keyless alarm of our old car, the Revorend, but now that we have Gina, it’s happening all over again.
2. I like crushed chips. We used to call them ‘sopas,’ or ‘soup.’ I used to buy chips and just crush them so I could tip the bag over and just shake the crushed chips into my mouth. The best chips for crushing? Clover Chips Cheese, Nacho Chips Barbecue, and Ruffles Sour Cream and Cheddar. Mmmmm.
3. I choose cartoons. CNN, ESPN, Discovery, National Geographic, ETC, Crime/Suspense, Lifestyle … all take a backseat to the best cable channels in the world, Nickelodeon, Disney Channel, and Cartoon Network.
4. I love my mummy. I am fascinated by mummies. And dinosaurs. I once went excavating in my backyard, only to unearth two lumps of something which I brought to my Mom. I told her they were dinosaur bones. She said they were cat poop.
5. I prefer harmonizing over lead vocals. I’ve been singing since I was four, but I don’t want to be the lead vocal. I like being the backup, the harmony, the second voice. It’s so much easier for me, there’s less pressure, and it’s a heckuva lot more fun. I blame Wilson Phillips.
6. Unchecked, I can finish a half-gallon of ice cream in one sitting. It’s happened. I don’t want it to happen again.
Three reasons I’m proud to be Pinoy? We’re creative, we’re resourceful, and we don’t take ourselves too seriously in times when being too serious can be detrimental.